Tuesday, July 1, 2008

July 1st (three days before America's birthday and four days before mine!--I know, shameless plug)

It’s Canada Day which means that we should take shots of maple syrup and watch lots of old school hockey (pre- helmet regulations) on ESPN to celebrate our friendly neighbors north of the border. We should also take some time to listen to schmaltzy Celine Dion power ballad her way to our soft sides and eardrums. Our hearts will go on, Celine, for Canada. Stereotypes aside, I’ve enjoyed really getting to know the Canucks I’ve met in the past year since moving from Texas to New York. Very few Canadians make it to Tejas—I think they’re afraid of the sun. Seriously, Canadians are just like us albeit some minor differences: They say “aboot”, we say “about” properly; they have Timmy Hortons, we have Dunkin’ Donuts; they smoke pot in Ontario, we smoke pot undercover. See! We’re all one big North American family. There is one thing, however, I never understood. What’s up with Canadian bacon?


One of my favorite Celine Dion songs. Yes, I am a fan--Filipino's LOVE la chanteuse extraordinaire.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what offends me more--that you didn't single your favo(u)rite canadian friend, or that you feel you can comment on a co(u)ntry you've never been to.

Anonymous said...

What the heck is Canada Day? Never have I ever heard of such a thing...