Monday, September 8, 2008

Do You Want To Be A Canadian Rap Superstar?

Everybody knows who Akon is. The Senagalese rapper has made millions of people smack it on the dance floor. Everyone has heard his nasal, yet surprisingly catchy voice half-sing hooks for American rap stars like Eminem.

But who's the guy rapping with Akon in Dangerous and why does he want me to make his "black snake moan?" His name is Jason Harrow and he hails not from the islands like his dance hall beats suggest, but from Canadia--Scarborough, Ontario even.

Harrow is known as Canada's hip-hop ambassador. Indeed he's worked with artists who are regulars on Billboard charts: Rihanna, Jay-Z, Pharell, and Sean Paul. But while he's earned industry cred for his notable singles (BaKardi Slang, Ol' Time Killin'), Dangerous was my first introduction to Harrow's work. I didn't like it at first because Akon's voice grates on tympanic membranes; everytime I'd hear the single on a top 40 station, I'd turn the dial. But the first time I head Kardinal rapping about "Jessica P" and "trying to give a home girl sex in the city-ti-ty", I knew that there was a reason why Kardinal's Dangerous is No. 22 on the iTunes chart. (I also spent $1.08 for the single). Let's ignore the sexist lyrics and just have fun! Dudeman: Anybody that can use a biscuit as a vehicle in a metaphor has my vote.

Mr. Offishall's new album dropped today and the release party is at S.O.B.'s. Doors open at 7 pm and the concert starts at 9 pm.

No comments: