Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Dudeman: It's pronounced "Wa-lay" (apparently).


Wale Folarin








Mark Ronson sans velvet


Mark Ronson playing the electric sitar with Danie Merriweather's band


Daniel Merriweather and the Dap Kings


Daniel Merriweather

Alright. The comments on the last post established the fact that I can't decipher lyrics: "illegal woman" for "mean, evil woman," "secret Asian man," for "secret agent man," etc. Whatever. There's a lot of people who are similarly afflicted. If I may refer y'all to the Friends episode where Phoebe mistakenly combined John Elton's Tiny Dancer with Who's the Boss "Tony Danza" which resulted in the bastard lyric "Hold me closer Tony Danza."

But after last night's show at SOB's, I've come to the realization that I'm not so good with names either. Wale Folarin's first name is pronounced "Wah-lay" not "Wally" and is most certainly NOT a homophone of "whale," (as in Moby Dick, Willy, and Shamu), which is how I've been pronouncing it. Alex, the PR guy for SOB corrected me at last night's show.

After we finally got in (we had to wait outside for half an hour because SOB was at capacity since Allido records added 700 people to the guest list at the last minute), we scored a sweet spot close to the small, raised stage, right behind photogs from legit publications. They had their "professional" black Nikkons and I had my Sony Cyber-shot that Judy and Kathy gave me for my 24th birthday. Despite my amateur equipment, I think that I walked away with some pretty good shots.

2 comments:

Amber said...

mark ronson looks good with a microphone in front of his face. however, wahlay and his doctor friends clearly stole the show for me :)

Unknown said...

Good thing I caught you before you went in...I'm pretty sure it is pronounced like that, but don't hold me to it! lol